Permissions and reprints
Re-use of material from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews for users and third parties
The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews uses RightsLink®, the automated, online permissions clearing system from the Copyright Clearance Center.
Requests to re-use or republish figures, tables, extracts and entire reviews can now be cleared online and a license providing details of the permission and the terms and conditions of the re-use is available for immediate download.
Simply follow the steps below to obtain permission via RightsLink® for material from the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews:
- Locate the desired Review or Protocol on the Cochrane Library website
- Click on the 'Info' link on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on 'Request Permissions'
- Follow the online instructions and select your requirements from the drop-down list
- Click on 'quick price' to get a quote
- Create a RightsLink® account to complete your transaction (and pay via a secure online system, where applicable)
- Read and accept our Terms & Conditions and download your license
For further information, please see the Wiley Online Library Licensing Info & FAQs page.
If your re-use request is not available via RightLink® please contact email@example.com.
Re-use of material from the Cochrane Library website
For all enquiries related to the general re-use of material from the Cochrane Library website please contact Tony Aburrow, Associate Editor at John Wiley & Sons.
Authors of Cochrane Reviews
For all enquiries related to the co-publishing of Cochrane Reviews please contact Tony Aburrow, Associate Editor at John Wiley & Sons.
In return for signing the Licence for Publication form, the author(s) have the following rights to their own Cochrane Review:
- The right to post the Review as an electronic file on the author's own website and/or the author's institution's website, using the PDF version of the Review available in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- The right to photocopy or to transmit online or to download, print out and distribute a reasonable number of copies of the published Review in whole or in part, for the author's personal or professional use including teaching purposes, but not for commercial purposes
- The right to republish without charge all or part of any published review authored or contributed to by the author in a book written or edited by the author
- The right to use selected figures and tables, and selected text, including the abstract and/or synopsis from the Review, for the author's own teaching purposes
- Plain language summaries and abstracts (and translations thereof where these are available) of Cochrane Reviews published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- All or part of the Cochrane Review Group or other Cochrane group modules published as part of the About the Cochrane Collaboration database.
The author agrees that any and all copies of the Review or any part thereof distributed or posted by the author in print or electronic form will include the following form of acknowledgement and the relevant citation:
‘This review is published as a Cochrane Review in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 20XX, Issue X. Cochrane Reviews are regularly updated as new evidence emerges and in response to comments and criticisms, and the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews should be consulted for the most recent version of the Review.’
Please include reference to the Review and hyperlink to the original version using the following format e.g. Authors. Title of Review. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 20XX, Issue #. Art. No.: CD00XXXX. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD00XXXX (insert persistent link to the article by using the URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD00XXXX)
(This statement should refer to the most recent issue of the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in which the Review was published)
If an additional license providing details of the permission and the Terms and Conditions of the re-use is required, follow the steps above to obtain the license via RightsLink®.
Registered Cochrane groups are entitled, without contacting the publisher, to re-publish on Cochrane group websites, in email, or other Cochrane-related alerting services:
- Plain language summaries and abstracts (and translations thereof, where these are available) of Cochrane Reviews published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- All or part of the group's module published as part of the About The Cochrane Collaboration database
Cochrane Handbook requests
Requests for academic re-use of Handbook material: Requests for permission to re-use material from the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions for academic purposes should be directed to Jackie Chandler (firstname.lastname@example.org; UK) or Miranda Cumpston (email@example.com; Australia).
If a request is approved, permission will be granted free of charge on condition that the source is acknowledged.
Requests for commercial re-use of Handbook material: Commercial re-use includes any use of the Handbook or Cochrane Review or website material that will be used in a product for which there is a monetary fee, and/or where it is associated in any way with any product or service. For requests of this nature, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cochrane logo requests
To request permission to use the Cochrane logo please contact email@example.com
Translations of Cochrane Review content
Permission to translate Cochrane Reviews or other content in the Cochrane Library
If you would like to translate material from the Cochrane Library (including Cochrane Reviews), please contact Juliane Ried (firstname.lastname@example.org), Translations Co-ordinator at Cochrane. If you would like to reprint or re-use existing translations of Cochrane content in some form, please also contact Juliane Ried. (email@example.com).
Permission to translate the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions and other books in the Cochrane–Wiley Book Series
If you have queries related to translations or would like to translate portions or the entirety of the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, please contact Jackie Chandler (JChandler@cochrane.org), Methods Co-ordinator at Cochrane.
For other books in the Cochrane-Wiley book series, please contact Deborah Pentesco-Gilbert (firstname.lastname@example.org), Publisher at Wiley.
Should you require any reprints of individual Cochrane reviews (minimum 300 copies) please contact your local office as shown below: